Judge Protasiewicz is the Democracy Rights and Reproductive Freedom Champion Wisconsin Needs
Voting Rights Organization Invests Nearly Half a Million Dollars into Grassroots Organizing Ahead of Wisconsin Supreme Court Race on April 4
MEDIA CONTACT: Addie Bullock, email@example.com
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Public Wise, a voting rights organization that works to secure a government that reflects the will and protects the rights of the people, announced today their endorsement of Judge Janet Protasiewicz for the open seat on the Wisconsin Supreme Court. This marks the organization’s first endorsement of a state Supreme Court candidate.
“We are proud to endorse Janet Protasiewicz for the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Judge Protasiewicz is the democracy rights and reproductive freedom champion Wisconsin needs, and we’re committed to investing in the grassroots organizations on the frontlines of this election. The future of our democracy hinges on Wisconsin, and we’re not backing down from this fight,” said Christina Baal-Owens, Executive Director of Public Wise.
Public Wise has invested more than $425,000 into the Wisconsin State Supreme Court race. Grants include:
- $50,000 to BLOC, community organizers working to build political and economic power for Wisconsin’s Black community,
- $75,000 to Working Families Party Wisconsin, the grassroots party working to secure social, racial and economic justice for Wisconsin’s multiracial working class,
- $100,000 for America Votes, a progressive organizing hub working with 400 national and local partners to build a representative democracy,
- $150,000 for National Redistricting Action Fund, dedicated to harnessing the power of the power and courts to dismantle Wisconsin’s undemocratic electoral maps
- $50,000 to Fair Elections Center to run targeted digital ads to 18-24 year olds, a non-partisan organization dedicated to improving election administration and removing barriers to voting for underrepresented communities
“Wisconsin is the most gerrymandered state in this country. Just one vote on the Wisconsin Supreme Court stood between a free and fair presidential election and former President Trump’s illegal attempt to overturn his loss in Wisconsin in 2020,” said Eli Szenes-Strauss, Political Director at Public Wise. “Reproductive healthcare, voting rights, free and fair electoral maps, the right to organize, fair working conditions and the future of our democracy are on the line in this election. Wisconsin needs a State Supreme Court Judge who believes in a free and fair Wisconsin for all, not an election denying Trump acolyte like Daniel Kelly.”
Public Wise, the founder of the Insurrection Index, is committed to keeping election deniers out of public office. Public Wise’s endorsement process closely analyzes races across the country to identify campaigns running against January 6th participants and election deniers. By supporting these key races across the nation, Public Wise works to ensure that those who played a role in January 6th and election deniers whose mis-information continues to undermine our political institutions do not hold public office.
Persistent and unyielding in our commitment to a just multiracial democracy, Public Wise fights to secure a government that reflects the will and protects the rights of the people. We accomplish this through education, research, organizing, funding, and partnerships that support more voting and more equitable representation.